Tuesday, March 4, 2014

"She's summoning sea monsters"


I woke up in time to see the sunrise. Yes, the 3 hour time difference helped, but still, those who know me well should be impressed by this feat. Proof.


Rocky has been taking a 4 mile walk every day for over a year now, but this was the first time I'd joined him on his trek. I was amazed at how fast he can go, it seems like just yesterday I was at the police station being told he might not ever walk again, and now he's more active than me. Very proud of him.

The people of Santa Cruz are as interesting as the shore is beautiful. A woman stepped out of her car, walked straight to the edge of the cliff overlooking the ocean, raised her hands straight above her head for about 10 seconds, walked back to her car, and left. I was thinking about what the purpose of the whole routine was, and apparently, so was Papa K. 
As we're passing her I hear, "If sea monsters come out to attack you know why. She's summoning sea monsters." 

As the walk went on he changed from cracking jokes about oddities to merely pointing out their existence. "Old man with a bandana." "Dog with a lei." I'm sure the other walkers were doing the same thing. "Two smelly Midwesterners saying good morning to everyone."



We drove down the pier to take a video of the seals for Noah, and eat a delicious breakfast where we got to FaceTime with Brady. The Pioneer in Plastic Salads is always thinking about his grandkids. 




Next, we drove over to Budget Truck Rental to pick up our 16 footer. She's a real beaut. I followed my dad in the rental car back to the house while he was driving the U-Haul. It should only be about a 10 minute drive. If you can remember back to my first blog, I'm a big fan of singing in the car when I'm alone. This was my only chance to really get into a song over vacation so when "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" comes on the radio, I'm obviously going to take full advantage. Once the song song ended and the adrenaline rush had been achieved I started thinking about the blog. I remember my inner dialogue quite well actually. "I've got that funny thing about sea monsters. I can probably throw my karaoke sesh in there somehow. This is gonna be a good one. It's still only like 9am. The possibilities are endless. Maybe I could switch over to doing a documentary or something. I should get an exterior shot of him driving the truck just in case, this is my only opportunity. Oh yeah that's perfect. Pull up next to him to get a better angle. He looks so majestic driving that beast. This is definitely the opening shot of the movie. I need to turn my camera sideways. Wait, what's he pointing at...?"



"Oh, he was pointing to turn... Damn, where am I?"

My lonely detour brought me back down to earth. The documentary has been put on hold. The rest of the day was spent loading the truck. We went to Rosemary's before bed to say our goodbyes and eat a delicious dinner. Planning on driving from Santa Cruz to Salt Lake City on Tuesday. The road trip is upon us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment